When I was a kid I hated anything green. When I say anything I mean anything. I didn’t even like green jello. I have recently even learned that my poor mother would remove the parsley from chicken broth that would come in the Ramen Noodles packages! When I started living a low carb lifestyle I began re-testing the waters of my green phobia and was happy to learn that now that I am no longer 10 years old I actually like green veggies! Surprisingly one of my favorites is brussels sprouts. If you are like me and as a kid refused to eats these little beauties you might want to give them a try again. I believe that our taste buds grow overtime and things that may have made us gag as a kid actually taste pretty darn good as an adult. If you worry that this will not be the case I recommend cooking them with bacon. Bacon can make anything taste amazing and I think brussels sprouts and bacon are a match made in low carb heaven.
- 6 slices of Bacon
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chop the bacon.
- Slice all large brussels sprouts in half and wash throughly.
- In a sauté pan with the olive oil cook bacon till crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove a 1/4 cup of bacon grease from the saute pan and save for later if needed.
- Add garlic and brussels sprouts to the sauté pan. Cook on medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until browned and tender.
- Add chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Turn the temp down to low and cover. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the brussels sprouts are tender and a fork can be inserted into the center easily.
- Crumble the bacon into smaller pieces and sprinkle over the top of the brussels sprouts. Enjoy!